Monday, September 18, 2006

Studio 60

Well - I just took my last break until after the 24th. Deep breath. From here on in, I think I'll be eating, sleeping, and everything-else-ing Shelter from the Storm. So, what did I do with my break?

It's the start of a new TV season, and I just had to give Sorkin's new show a look-see. Pilots generally leave me feeling ambivalent, and this one was no exception. There's just so much setup that has to happen, background, character establishing (at least the baseline stuff) that they often end up being a bit pedantic.

At this point, you'll probably find me watching Studio 60 next Monday. I came close to writing it off, though. There was just too much murky in the beginning and I had trouble connecting the who's who with their significance. The moment that cinched it for me, though, was Matt running down the alley to tell-off the network muckety-mucks because he thought they were blackmailing Danny into taking the job ... fade to commercial as Danny tries to catch up with him to head him off at the pass.

Of course, with Sorkin at the helm, it'll be hard to escape the expectations that the success of The West Wing raises. I loved WW and mourned its loss of focus when Sorkin left the show. I'm willing to give Studio 60 the benefit of the doubt at the moment. Here's hoping that it will live up to its potential.

Now for a momentary rant - What's with Time Warner Cable and the new CW station? Here I thought I was going to be able to regularly watch a show I enjoy, Veronica Mars, and the local TWC affiliate isn't able to work out a deal to keep the CW on the air. *sigh*

It's not fatal. I'll still live and thrive. I'm not truly addicted; however, the sound in the background is a good distraction if you can find something at least semi-interesting to listen to/watch. (I do tend to listen more than actually watch.) It's just a bit irritating, that's all.

No comments: