Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Musings from a Traffic Jam

Traveling from Houston back to Beaumont, wouldn't you know it? I-10 East through Baytown became a parking lot. Just what I needed! So what does one do while stuck in traffic (besides trying to figure out an alternate route that would take less time than inching forward, that is)?

After getting bored with singing to my cd's, I just decided to let the brain ramble. Here's the result:

The truck and trailer next to me pulled forward and had this bumper sticker: We are coming. God may forgive you. We will not. I certainly hope the guy's not a Christian. Wonder if he prays the Lord's Prayer regularly. If so, he's forgotten the part where you pray, "forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors" (the Presbyterian version). Professional hazard, of course. Those are the kinds of things that run through my head when I see such absolutes. Wasn't too particularly impressed with the idea of being included in the bumper sticker's "we" either.

As you might guess, my fellow trapped vehicles were fodder for contemplation. Does anyone have any idea what state has license plates with rainbows on them? A car two lanes over had some really attractive white plates with a rainbow across the top third, but I couldn't see which state they were from. I love rainbows! Might even consider moving to a state with rainbow license plates .... hmmmmm..... well ... someday.

Dumb question of the week: Why do gas stations continue to identify their gasoline as 'unleaded'? Why don't they just advertise regular, super, and premium as they used to when gasoline was leaded? I seem to recall the shift from leaded to unleaded taking place sometime in the 70's. I don't recall seeing leaded gasoline in at least 25 years. Would you be confused if the pumps just said regular, super, and premium, and unleaded wasn't anywhere to be seen?

And about that point, the road in front of me miraculously cleared and traffic began to move at something resembling a normal speed. 'Til next time!

2 comments:

Love, Rita said...

I can't answer your questions about gasoline labelling? Maybe thay continue to label it in case Rip Van Winkle wakes up and tries to gas up his 1970 Pinto...

I can however answer your question about the license plate with the rainbow: It's Hawaii! (I wish I were really just a vast fountain of knowledge, but I looked it up on images.google.com.)

I bet you are really a blast to travel with! Have a terrific weekend!

SingingSkies said...

Hawaii, huh?! Thanks!! Who on earth would bring a car to the mainland from Hawaii? Oh, well ... It did appear to be a high-end Lexus.

But Hawaii, huh? hmmmmmmmmm...... I don't think I'd have a big problem moving to Hawaii, except for the expense of it all. *chuckle* Think it'd be worth it just for the license plates?