Thursday, June 08, 2006

With Fear and Trembling

I really regret opening my mail yesterday. In it was the terrifying news that I have to come up with a seven minute presentation for the General Assembly Review committee which will be grilling my team Friday week.

Seven minutes?! ARGH!!! Mind you, I do a sermon most Sundays and they tend to run about 10 minutes (if I'm lucky, less if not). So why does this thing terrify me? The notice came with dire warnings that the Moderator would cut anyone off at the knees if they went over 7 minutes. Actually, I don't think the length is the problem. (Besides, there is something Biblical about the number 7, as in completion.)

It's the context. This is definitely an "outside the comfort zone" experience. I keep wondering how I ended up in this situation. *chuckle* I certainly never imagined myself moderating a General Assembly-level committee in my lifetime, nor did I ever imagine myself having any visible role ANYWHERE, to tell the truth. My personal preference is wallflower-mode, except when I feel somehow compelled beyond myself to be otherwise (if that makes any sense at all).

It's a good thing I don't chew my fingernails, or I wouldn't have any fingers left now!

*sigh* So it is with fear and trembling that I now begin the crafting of seven minutes of something which I hope doesn't come out as drivel. Help me, O God, for I selfishly don't want to look like a dolt!

2 comments:

Ron Franscell said...

Look on the bright side: It could be shorter.

Or much longer.

Just think about those poor comedians on Last Comic Standing, who have only 3 minutes to seal their careers!

SingingSkies said...

Fact is - I may end up with only 3 minutes! *chuckle* I do short really well! (Maybe it's the poet in me? *shrug*) It's a good thing I don't have to be funny, just memorable.