Friday, June 02, 2006

Can Anything Good Come From Nazareth?

Hmmmmmm.... I just reread yesterday's post and realized that it took a different direction from my original intent. Nothing wrong with that. I stand by what I posted, but I don't want to lose yesterday's intent either: that, occasionally, even something I'm diametrically opposed to can present something of positive value.

As you might have guessed, I'm no fan of The Layman. I wander through its pages more as an exercise in trying to understand those I disagree with so vehemently. I generally have to be in the right frame of mind to undertake this task so I don't blow a gasket or something. Yesterday was one of those days where a teaser caught my eye and I just couldn't put it down. (Not a good start to perusing the rag.)

While looking for the actual article (which I never found, btw), I came across a box which listed our last ten General Assembly moderators and the Layman's assessment of their theological/political stance on a variety of their pet peeves. I'm quite sure the Layman didn't mean it this way, but it was a sign of hope for me.

Of those last ten moderators, six have been vocal in their stance in favor of the ordination of homosexuals, three were sort of middle of the road, and one was reviled because he didn't jump through the Layman's hoops (in the guise of a special called meeting of the Assembly during the year over some trivial issue which wasn't decided in their favor at the original meeting). This is good news!!

Please understand. At the time each moderator was elected, there were candidates for the office who staunchly support the views of the Layman. At the time each moderator was elected, the vote on the final ballot (usually there were 2-3 ballots) in favor of the winning candidate was by at least two-thirds of the voting commissioners. This tells me that the vocal minority is mostly that - vocal - when it comes to the mainstream of this old mainline denomination.

So - something good did come out of something which is usually filled with misinformation and hate. Doesn't mean I'm planning to read each issue when it arrives (pastors get the darned thing for free, so there's no escaping its arrival); however, I have been reminded that sometimes serendipity sneaks in and I probably ought to keep my eyes open for it!

No comments: