Monday, June 12, 2006

St. Pixels

Back in 2004, the Methodist Church in England decided to try something new - a virtual 3D church. Out of curiosity, I wandered through the church, visited and prayed with its members, checked out the architecture and furnishings (with a pipe organ no less!), wandered in the Crypt, watched people get 'smited' by the wardens (with justification - I didn't see any smitings out of hand) and, oddly enough, found an interesting community with a place for respite for this pastor. Things got busy, though, and I wandered away and forgot about the Church of Fools.

It was quite an experiment and unfortunately wasn't able to survive as a stand-alone. Oh, the 'building' still exists and you can go in to visit as an individual, but it's not the same.

Church of Fools also had a bulletin board section where there were discussions, games (Rosencrantz? Mornington Crescent? other weird stuff), mutual support, a chat cafe, and so on. I had left my joining email in my inbox and just happened to notice it the other day, so I decided to visit. What the hey!

Guess what. The Methodists are going to try it again, but they have to build it from the ground up, so it'll be a while before the virtual 3D church is up and running again. St. Pixels is starting things out with a revamped bulletin board and the chat cafe, with a daily worship service in the cafe. (I haven't quite figured out what time it starts, since the time is a combination of military time and GMT, I think. *sigh*) I've 'transfered my membership' *chuckle* and am now a bona fide member of the community again.

What was really cool is that there are people who remember me from the old site, and I remember them. It's been at least a year since I visited, so that seems absolutely amazing to me.

With the start of the hurricane season, they've started a thread about hurricanes for people to post their concerns, what they're dealing with in the aftermath of last year's hurricanes, to support those affected by hurricanes. It's not gotten much of a start yet, but I suspect it will grow as the season goes by. Might be a good way for those of us still hobbled in recovery to meet and share stories and help each other.

Well, off to go a-visiting! See ya later!

No comments: