Tuesday, September 23, 2008

When Pigs Fly

Got up this morning and wandered out to the driveway to get the newspaper as I usually do. Slipped it out of its plastic sheath to see these words over one of the above-the-fold stories:

Disaster bill on fast track in Congress

I won't use the language that ran through my head as I read this headline. It's not particularly pastor-like.

We're THREE YEARS out from Hurricane Rita and there are still too mucho major dollars hanging around that haven't gotten to the people who needed it THEN, and even that took waaaaaaaaaaaay too long to make it through the sludge factory that oozes assistance through the governmental process.

It's a good thing my faith lies elsewhere, because it certainly isn't in the people who make such statements of "quickly" and then leave the area to languish on the brink after they've gotten away from the place where their sound bites have the most visibility.

In all fairness, much has happened quicker this time than it did after Rita. Shoot! It's only 12 days after the storm and I have power.

But further into the paper is an editorial by Dan Rather that points out that once again our hard hit area is being overshadowed by another hurricane and the admittedly difficult financial situation our country is facing. What does that say about how our assistance programs are run when the 4th largest city in the country slides into national oblivion?

Oh! We haven't dropped completely off the map yet, and probably won't until the next disaster pops up. What angers me is that I've already seen with my own eyes the "speed of snail" pace which usually leads to further deterioration of a damaged home and damaged heart and soul. I am angry and fearful that we will see the same thing this time.

When do you think I should begin to believe the fragile promises of quick relief? When pigs fly.

When pigs fly.

No comments: