Monday, September 08, 2008

Ready to Boycott!

Ok - I've had it!

I'm about ready to call for a boycott. Don't know if I can stand it any longer and am feeling the need to encourage a boycott.

Of what, you ask?

Weathercasters using the term "ramp up" (or any variation thereon) when giving their reports on hurricanes.

Would someone please explain to me why this particular term has come into being? I do remember more or less when we began to hear it in the news and what it's associated with; however, what the heck to do ramps have to do with a hurricane gathering strength?

The Weather Channel appears to be one of the worst offenders, at least in my experience. It is virtually impossible to get through a tropical update without hearing the term not once, not twice, but on and on. Have they run out of descriptors, or creativity, or have they just been on air for so long dealing with storm after storm that they've forgotten what vocabulary they learned prior to walking in front of a camera? Well, that last one probably isn't the reason, since they've been using the term since the first storm of the season.

I've been trying to limit my exposure to said weathercasters, but it is sometimes difficult.

Fortunately, there are other news sources where one can glean pertinent information. But I must admit I find it helpful to see the reports of the storms in motion, so I'll probably have to endure a "ramp up" or two from time to time.

But ...

I'm ready for a boycott!! Anyone interested in joining me?

No comments: