Saturday, March 17, 2007

Progress

Inch by inch. Layer by layer. Mile of painter's tape by mile of painter's tape. Progress is happening. S-l-o-w-l-y.

This week I had the new garbage disposer installed, and learned that my dishwasher actually does work. Good news! One less thing that has to be replaced. The painting in the kitchen is completed, so the tape and coverings are now down.

I've discovered that it will cost about the same to re-tile my shower as it will to put in cultured marble. Now all I've got to do is contact the insurance company to get approval to go ahead with something. It's especially important since either way I go, it'll cost almost double what the insurance company allowed for the job.

Since I've been doing the contracting myself, I have a little bit extra for doing a couple of things that are best done while the house is in disarray: replace the linoleum in the kitchen and put in a new sliding glass door and front door. Both have their problems. And while I painted, I discovered that there's a whole lot of heat transfer at the doors. Energy efficiency is not their strong suit at the moment.

My "demon wall" in the dining room is beginning to look normal. It doesn't quite look like I threw blood at it any more. It's almost actually looking like it's supposed to. I think one more coat of paint will do it. *fingers crossed* Still a ways to go on the painting. There's trim and a bathroom, the rest of the laundry room and a little hallway, and that'll be done.

Now I think I'm going to work on stripping the paint - the paint that I'm wearing, that is. I may someday not look like a harlequin. At least I like the colors!

No comments: