Friday, March 23, 2007

Nostalgia

It was one of those moments. The only sounds - birds chirling and chirrupping, mourning doves cooing their mournful sound in a quiet, blurred conversation. The sun shining at just the right angle. A hint of cool in the warming air. And I was transported back to my childhood.

I remember mornings like this when I was a little girl. The house we lived in wasn't air conditioned, so the windows were open for the breeze wafting crisply through the rooms. Sometimes you'd hear a woodpecker going after the bugs in the trees or bees buzzing around the rosebushes just outside my bedroom. Now and then a car would start up and leave the double cul-de-sac. And, if it was early enough, you'd hear the donkey down the road braying loudly for his breakfast. hee - HAW. ... hee -HAW. ... hee - HAW. ... he-haw-he-haw-he-haw-he-haw!

On days like these, I'd be in my bedroom until it was "time to get up". I had one of those wonderful beveled mirrors above my dresser, and I remember finding just the right place to stand/sit so you looked really large or really tiny. It was so much fun spending time standing up, and sitting down, and standing up, and sitting down, just watching my size change back and forth. The fascinations of childhood.

It was just one of those moments. Transient. Catapulted to a fond memory of the past. All too short. Magic!

No comments: