Friday, February 23, 2007

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Timing is everything! Just last week I was feeling pretty down because the stuff with the house is taking forever. At least it seems that way. I've not slept in my own bed in about a year and a half. Truth is - that part's happened before, especially between churches. What's so blinking frustrating is that the bed is only about a mile and a half away and is ready and waiting for me to return. (May have to add a bit of water to the mattress, but that's not a biggie.) I realize I can't even begin to understand what it's like for those who lost everything in the hurricanes that happened in 2005; however, I am able to identify with those who have been displaced and are uncertain when they will be in their correct environment again. To be so close and so far away at the same time, to be living in limbo, can just plain sap the git-up-n-go out of a body. That's where I was last week.

Today? Today I bought paint! Gallons and gallons of paint! HAPPY! HAPPY! JOY! JOY!

You know what that means? One step closer to home. WOOHOO!!

Tomorrow I have friends coming over to my house to help me put those gallons of paint on the walls. Except for my bedroom, everything used to be white. Dull, boring white. Show every little smudge white. Couldn't hide the outline where they had a huge knick-knack shelf on the wall white. Miserable to clean white. (notice a trend here?)

Not anymore. Today I picked up colors like Warm Terra Cotta and Vintage Merlot and Glorious Gold and Autumn Maple and Angelic White and Soft Feather and Polar Bear. Just the names are pick-me-ups. And it all gets me one step closer to moving back home.

I didn't realize how much Her Horribleness had become a part of my identity until I was at those two meetings last week. Somehow, it rarely took me long to mention that I am still displaced. I'm looking forward to the day when that's no longer true. hmmmmm.....Wonder who I'll be then.

In the meantime ....... don't mind me! I'll just be doing my happy dance over here in the corner. *hums quietly with occasional outbursts of "happy happy joy joy" and a big smile*

No comments: