Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Smile or Two

Back a few years ago, there was a young lady and her even younger boy-friend. For several years, as the young lady would spend hours at the younger friend's house getting her hair dyed in hope of even being noticed in roller skating competitions (you had to be a California blonde or the judges apparently weren't able to see you), the two would play. The young friend and young lady would build towers of blocks and knock them over, or play tag, or all the pretend games that were so much fun. The young friend asked, "Would you marry me?" The young lady said, "Maybe when you're older."

One day, the young lady met a young man and decided to get married. The young friend was really, really miffed. The young lady asked him to be the ringbearer at her wedding and, while he wasn't particularly happy that he wouldn't be the one getting married, he agreed and gleefully waved at the congregation as the young lady and young man were wed.

What neither of them knew was how prescient the young friend was. The young lady had no inkling that she would one day become a minister. Marriage, family, and perhaps a mundane job were all she was thinking of. HA! God, being the inscrutable joker God is, had a different plan. While I don't particularly believe that the wheels coming off of the marriage wagon were part of that plan, I do believe that God used the situation to steer me in the direction of seminary.

So here it is about 30 years later. The other day, the now older lady receives a phone call from her now older young friend. "Would you marry me?" is the question. However, this time he's asking me to perform his wedding to his lovely fiancee. *chuckle* "Of course," I said. But I didn't remind him that he'd already asked the question 30 years ago. Don't you just love God's sense of humor?

And Smile Two - I'm planning a Paint Party!! Even have a date!! The last Saturday in February should see splashes of color on walls and ceilings, and probably people! (If I'm painting, it's definitive that there will be paint on people - ME!) Minor snag in the moving back process, though, is that I have to replace the tile in my shower, some plumbing in the other bathroom, and my garbage disposal. Not insurmountable! And at least I'll get them done before moving in.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but it looks like I may be home for Easter! (not definite, but a light at the end of the tunnel) HOORAY!!

No comments: