Sunday, November 21, 2010

Casting About and Other Things

First, the sad news.

On Friday, as I looked at The Penster, she gave me this pleading look and I could no longer in good conscience keep her at home as she slowly lost her dignity and became less comfortable. So I called the vet. At about 2:45 Friday afternoon, Penny Penelope Penny-lope peacefully and quietly returned to wholeness.

On the way to the vet's, she gave me a couple of patented Penny smiles and absolutely insisted on walking into the building and back to the room. I was with her the entire time. It was probably the first time ever that a vet was able to listen for her heartbeat without having to chase her around the table.

I sure miss you, my faithful, flop-eared friend!

But life goes on and I'm continuing to live into new experiences.

Earlier this week, I went to the orthopedist about my non-cooperative ankle. It's been paining me for months and the first treatment option for my acute tendinitis didn't do diddly for me.

The next plan of attack? Total immobilization for 4 weeks.

EEP! I now have a bright purple cast on my left leg. Good thing it's my left ankle. Driving would be a real problem if it were my right one.

I've never had a cast before, and would just as soon not ever have another one. It's a walking cast, so there's this boot to attach whenever I plan to walk around. Plus, I never realized just what being lopsided does to a body. My right ankle is grumping about all the extra work it's having to do. Hope it doesn't end up wanting a cast too.

Taking a shower and getting dressed has a whole new dimension to it, as well. Fortunately, I'm quick in the shower. One short shower a day was what the doctor said. To make up for it, it takes most of the day for the cast (well, the lining inside the cast) to dry out and quit soaking whatever it's up against.

Finding a comfortable position for foot/cast and body, whether seated or in bed, is a real pleasant experience, too (she said sarcastically). I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have a permanent cast imprint on my right leg, since crossing my leg over at the knee is one of the resonably comfortable options available to me. Even wrapping the darned cast in a towel doesn't seem to circumvent the dents.

Well, I guess I'll quit grumbling for now and see what I can do to enjoy the lovely day we seem to be having.

There's this really ambitious squirrel who keeps looking in my sliding glass door, wondering if there's a good place on the other side to stash the nut s/he's carrying. Nope! Don't think I'll let him/her in. But it is fun to watch her/him scurrying around on my patio.

Wonder what's next on the horizon ...

2 comments:

lorely said...

It is never easy letting go of our furry loved ones and letting them travel to the "rainbow bridge", my sympathies.

SingingSkies said...

Thank you.