Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Is It Just Me?

I've had my house on the market for a year now with nothing more than quick nibbles. The most frequent reason the potential buyers tend to say no? They want wood floors, not carpet.

Excuse me! I didn't particularly like the carpet or the wall colors the house had when I bought it, but that didn't stop me from buying the house. I liked the floor plan and the neighborhood and the price. I figured that if I didn't like something about the decor I could change it. And that's exactly what I did when I had the chance!

Now, I'm looking at renting the house. A property management person just came through and gave me an estimate for what I might be able to get. You know what she said would cause problems with renting the house? You've got it! The color of the carpet!!

Excuse me! You're RENTING! What difference does it make what color the carpets are (or the apparent age of the kitchen cabinets, for that matter)? Does the floorplan work for you? Is the property in good shape? Is the house in a good neighborhood? Are you getting good value for the rent you're paying?

GAH!!

Is it just me? Or are people becoming more irrational about wanting others to fix things to their liking before they're willing to even consider making a move? It just doesn't make sense.

No comments: