Sunday, November 12, 2006

Fall Fandango

I now have a color scheme for my redecorating after the hurricane - fall colors. I'd already figured out some of it - a rich olive green for my furniture with a dark olivy/forest green for the carpet. However, the thought of white walls made me gag. And more green on the walls would have been waaaaaaaaaay too much! I wanted something to 'warm' the rooms up, as well as keep them 'cool' in the summer.

This is where traveling to Oklahoma came in handy. It's fall there! Really, truly fall. The trees are wrapped in all their glorious splendor - deep rich reds, bright golds, resplendent purples, orange/greens, yellow/reds, and trees that never change their colors all blended together in a riotous show of joy. While driving back to Texas on a cool Friday morning, it felt as though our car was wrapped in the warmth of the flames of the brightly colored trees - a sweater of fall colors.

If things had been different, I would have detoured through the Ouachita Mountains on the Talimena Scenic Drive. It's an awesome trip when the fall leaves are at their peak. We weren't that far away, but it would have been about a 5-6 hour detour, and I'm not sure Mom could have handled that. If I'd been alone ....................

That's one thing I miss, the fall foliage. I enjoy seeing the trees getting all gussied up for a year-end spectacular before letting go and taking a much deserved rest during the winter. Getting to see them with mountains makes me want to dance with joy! I think I may reserve a week of vacation for about this time of year next year. My soul could use a mountain break. For now, I'll just have to import the colors into my den, living room, and entrance foyer. Maybe that'll help!

No comments: