Thursday, November 16, 2006

Consumerism

OK - is it just me or has insanity struck? The new PlayStation 3 makes its American debut on Friday. An article in the local paper says that the company has designated approximately 400,000 units for sale in the US. The machines retail for approximately $700, which seems like a ridiculous price to me. So why are people lining up outside the local stores carrying them, holding their place until they can get those first 'precious' units on Friday?

I might understand it (slightly) if there was some kind of special promotion where the first "x" number of customers got some kind of discount, or if it was an endurance contest and whoever lasted and was the first in line got a free one. But aren't there more important things that one could wait in line for?

When I was in Houston before the opening of the latest IKEA store, people lined up for days in advance for the chance to choose $10,000 worth of merchandise. The catch was they had to be the first in line on the morning the store first opened. The ultimate winner, I think, used the prize for furniture for her daughter who was going off to school, as well as for her own home that had undergone some significant repairs. The whole scenario had its sense of the ridiculous to it; however, it did have some positive as well.

I just don't understand this thing for the PlayStation, this waiting to spend $700 on a game unit (not the games, mind you, just the player). Think of the hungry, the homeless, the down and out and what they could do with $700 worth of resources.

To be honest, though, I have indulged my fair share of consumer "needs", including the computer that I am typing on right now. Perhaps it's a rationalization, but I see computers as a tool for communication, research, contact with others and other ideas, and, yes, entertainment. And I confess that I'm not particularly willing to just give up these things. *sigh* I'm also not planning to wait in line for a game unit, nor spend $700 for one (or anything like it).

I still don't understand why anyone would wait in capricious, potentially cold and nasty, weather for a game. Guess it will remain a mystery. Wonder if those who wait will ever notice how ridiculous their waiting truly is.

1 comment:

Jspiker said...

Very Good...makes me wonder about our values.