Monday, October 09, 2006

Winds of Change

It's too soon!! I'm not ready to drag out my winter clothes yet! NOOOOOOOOO!

Why the wailing and gnashing of teeth, you might ask? Certainly things haven't gotten cold enough for winter clothes here in good ol' Beaumont, and the weathermeister on tv alluded to it being cooler, but nowhere near the freezing point over the next several days.

But alas! I'm traveling this week, so, of course, I'm headed to a place where temperatures will be a bit brisker than I like. What's making me moan and groan even more is that this particular trip at this particular time of year is usually made to Daytona Beach, Florida. Three days in a wonderful resort hotel right on the beach. *sigh* And I had to miss last year's meeting because of ..... well, you probably guessed it ... Her Horribleness!

Now instead of warm temperatures and time during the day for barefoot strolls along the beach, and watching the pelicans soar along the coast, one direction in the morning, another in the evening, we'll be meeting where the highs will be around 50 and the lows near 35.

Don't get me wrong. I like Louisville, KY, even have a souvenier bat from the Louisville Slugger museum. (*scratches head* well, I did, but at the moment am not completely sure where it is in my disheveled house.) They've got a really cool theater for the performing arts and I really enjoy wandering along the river (when it isn't near freezing, that is).

Under normal circumstances, I'm not sure I'd even be upset by the cooler temperatures in Louisville. I just realized today, however, that I'm not ready for winter clothes. It's not time for it to be cool enough ANYWHERE for me to drag out the sweaters and long-sleeved shirts. OK - the calendar says October, and it's not outrageous for it to be cooler. The intellect recognizes that.

There's something about the time-sense of my soul that is rebelling loudly against wearing a jacket. Somehow I'm still in a time-warp where it's still ... hmmmmmm end of July? first of August? ... not anywhere near October. I desperately miss my barefoot walks in that awesome soft sand of Daytona Beach. I miss the special sunrises that come up out of the ocean. The rhythm of this past year (and a bit more) has simply not fallen back into its usual pattern, and my heart's not happy about it.

*sigh* The winds of change. I really could have done without that stupid hurricane last year! (I know - we all feel the same way about that one.) I just for this moment wish the winds would blow back the opposite direction and send us down to a warmer clime.

Ah, well! Next year is definitely a Daytona Beach year! I'm so looking forward to it. *wanders off, shaking head and looking for where I put that sack with my sweaters in it*

No comments: