Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sum- mer- time ...

and the livin' is --------Hot. Humid. Sweltering. Ennervating. Mind-numbing. Life-sapping. Soul-sucking. Did I mention HOT!?

Truth is, I happen to be a bit of a hothouse plant and am not generally in favor of temperatures approaching the freezing point of the blood in my veins, except during the summer. The weathercasters around here claim it's only been in the mid-nineties. Bank clocks tell the true tale. Today I saw one that said it was 103, and it felt hotter.

I've lived in and visited places where summer temps routinely hover around 110 ... 111 ... 112, in the shade. In Oklahoma, the wind would even quit blowing 'cause it was too much work. And if a bit of a breeze did decide to mosey through, all it would do is rearrange the heat molecules, stirring them to even greater heights - or at least it felt that way.

But I always seem to forget about the nature of Southeast Texas summers until I'm in the midst of one. It's hard to ignore 100 degree temperatures with 100% humidity, and no rain. Even the air is too heavy to move through.

This afternoon I went to the front door, opened it, and was hit in the face by an oven on low broil. Immediately deciding it was too hot to do anything more than slouch back to the chair and vegetate, I capitulated and let the heat and humidity win. Even the a/c wasn't making a lot of headway with the heat.

So now I"m in 'sloth mode', rapidly approaching the speed of a slow loris. I did manage to get my fingers on this Big Chief tablet without getting out of the chair. Even managed to scrawl a few lines on it. Don't know when I'll manage to make it to the computer and blog this. It's too darned hot!

[Finally! After the heat let up, it was time to work, and I'm only now getting home and online. It's Sunday instead of Saturday. The temperature is a breezy 76 degrees with a slight rain falling. Ahhhhhhhh! Bliss!]

No comments: