Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Guilty Pleasure

I confess! I"m hooked! So You Think You Can Dance has sucked me in ... again.

Now, I don't like the auditions part, and I don't like them going back and showing more of the auditions at the start of each show. I know they have to do auditions to narrow the field and weed out the ones who obviously don't have what it takes (or are doing it on a dare, or believe they are talented but haven't a lick of rhythm in their soul, or are so nervous that, well, let's not think of how their stomaches react to the tension). Showing the ones who didn't make it each week is just painful to watch, for me, and I know the judges in general try to be compassionate, but it's not an easy task. Personally, I'd be lots happier with the show if they just cut out that time and cut to the chase. (ok - rant over)

What I like about the show is watching the different, widely ranging, dance styles: Latin, hip-hop, ballroom, contemporary, jazz, disco, swing. The dancers are paired up and draw their dance from a hat each week. The audience gets to see snippets of each session where the dancers learn the choreography, usually the fairly inept parts of the lesson. Sometimes they are able to dance to their strengths; at others, they haven't the foggiest of what they're doing. I am always intrigued to see how well it comes together, not always perfect, but that's why it's a competition.

Oddly enough, I usually don't watch the show where they announce who stays and who's been voted off (or maybe not so oddly, considering how much I dislike the audition portion). I'll watch the last one where they announce the winner, of course.

What I'd really like to do is learn some of those dances someday, especially the ballroom, Latin, and swing (the jury's out on disco, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility). Not looking to compete or anything like that. I just like to dance and wish I knew what I was doing!

No comments: