Sunday, May 28, 2006

Twenty-three Years Ago

Twenty-three years ago in a hospital not too far from here, my son was born. It's hard to believe that so much time has passed, for it seems like only yesterday (although there's no squalling 'short person' in the house to make that seem true). But it's true. He's 23 years old today, and a fine young man, at that.

In about six months, he'll be graduating from college with a degree in political science and a minor in music. After that, he's headed on to learn more about what he really loves - trombone. Took him a while to figure that out, but I believe he made the right choice. You should see his face when he plays or talks about music! It glows! That's the way one should be about one's life-work. When you find your gift, and use it, it should bring joy to your heart that everyone can see. I'm glad he didn't have to bumble around for too long before he found his true self.

It feels really weird to realize that I'm in almost the same place where he was born now. When I left here twenty-two years ago, I planned to never come back this way. In fact, I did not step foot in the town until almost twenty years later, and even then, came mostly out of curiosity. I really had no intention of staying. But here I am! And, for the moment, this is where my joy lies. I love what I'm doing and the people I'm working with!

I am not the person I was twenty-three years ago, and that's a good thing. Part of the reason I found the courage to grow was the young man who came into my life twenty-three years ago today. I could not stay where I was (emotionally or physically) and keep him safe. Now, I believe, we are both the better for it; although, we each carry scars from the past.

You know, some might say I've come full circle by returning to this place. I'd much rather say I'm in an upward spiral, traveling past a familiar location, but in a much stronger position.

Twenty-three years ago today, something truly wonderful happened. My son was born. *smile* Yep! I think I'm going to savor twenty-three years' worth of memories today! I'll try not to embarass you, son!

2 comments:

Ron Franscell said...

You won't embarrass him at all. Congratulations on "surviving" these past 23 years! Having just witnessed my own 18-year-old son's high school graduation (which was photographed by his 22-year-old photojournalist sister) I have some sense of the accomplishment!

SingingSkies said...

Thanks, Ron! Isn't it a most conflicting, wonderful feeling to see them make it? One part the excitement of them being on the brink of something new, one part wanting to keep them safe at home, one part pride/relief in the accomplishment, and one part hoping you taught them that they could trust you to be there for them whatever (plus all the stuff jumbled in that simply can't be put into words).

I imagine you had a grand time watching your son walk across that stage. Bet you got some excellent pics of your son's graduation too!