Wednesday, May 31, 2006

On the Brink

Halt! ..... Put your hands to your sides! ..... Step away from the calendar! ..... Take a deeeeeeeep breath!

OK - How many of you figured that everything Rita would be over and done with by now? Don't be shy. Go ahead! Raise your hand. Yep! That's what I figured. Did you notice my hand was up too?

Here we are headed into a new hurricane season, and we've not finished cleaning up the old one yet. I don't know about you, but that wasn't what I had planned for this year. And with the news coverage and weathercasters tossing around not-so-encouraging numbers, I've noticed a bit of a tension and edge in the air. Have you?

Guess what .... what we're experiencing is normal. NORMAL?!, you say? Well, normal for the experience we find ourselves in at any rate. I've been reading Dr. Harold G. Koenig's book, "In the Wake of Disaster", which looks at the religious response to catastrophes of various natures. One of the things he details are the various phases of the recovery process, and the book came out late enough that it incorporates the Katrina experience into its research.

Mind you, I'm doing some semi-educated guessing here, but I'd say that we're kind of in limbo between two phases: the Short Term Aftermath Phase and the Long Term Aftermath Phase. According to Koenig, in the short term phase, people "begin to recognize the implications of the disaster event and their need for support." It's a time for people to begin "working through their losses and assign meaning to the event." Which is to say that we are beyond the shock of the initial experience and are beginning to process the depth of the changes which have occurred in our lives and the lives around us.

Operating from ignorance here, I figured this would last about 6-8 months and we'd be percolating along in something resembling the usual state of normal in our lives. WRONG! Here I was getting upset with myself for still feeling 'stuck', anxious, having trouble sleeping. It was a great relief to know that what I'm experiencing is not unusual. Anyone else feeling kind of 'let down' because people haven't magically managed to pull everything completely back together? That's part of the long term phase.

I hadn't realized just how long it would take to get things back together, and I suspect for those of us still working on returning our living and work spaces to useable space again the process will take even longer. Koenig says that the long term phase hits during six-twelve months after the event, and that for some people it may take years to completely integrate the changes. WHEW! And here I thought I was just being weird!!

Where's the Good News in all of this? First and foremost, God has not left us alone. Christ himself has promised to be with us always through the Spirit of the Comforter (Advocate, Counselor, depends on the translation, all are wonderful to have around!). We have Someone in our corner who understands what we are going through and sends us what we need at the right time. (Thanks, Ron, for the book!)

Second, we have each other to lean on for support. Now here's where you have to occasionally poke me and remind me that I don't have to do it all by myself! And, if you have to do it for me, I'm willing to do it for you! This is not a quick-fix situation, so we do need to continue to care for ourselves, for each other, and for those Christ places in our path.

And, third, let's not forget that God has provided those with gifts for counseling, home repair, detail managing, and all manner of special needs to help us reassemble the pieces which are still apart. There is no shame in seeking assistance and allowing them to offer their special gifts and talents to us. It's hard to be on the receiving end. That darned independent Protestant work ethic could keep us from having an incredible opportunity for our faith or someone else's to grow.

So - as we head once more into hurricane season, I leave you with these words from Jesus: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. (John 14:27, NSRV)

No comments: