Monday, October 10, 2005

To Be ... or Not To Be ... in Beaumont

Yesterday and today were truly interesting when compared to each other. We had a wonderful worship service filled with some truly inspiring stories of the events that have happened in people's lives over the past 2 1/2 weeks. Some people had stereotypes about different racial/ethnic groups busted to smithereens. Some had incredible stories of their evacuation to share. Some told of the blessings of friends and strangers. Some noted that events conspired to bring about unexpected results. There were hugs andtears and concern and laughter and prayers.

I have had about 5 offers of places to stay while my house is being restored to usable status, and with more of my members returning to the area, I feel the need to be in the community and available. It's truly awesome!

Today I spent trying to make contact with the insurance adjuster ..... again! I think I've finally managed to get through enough layers of supervisors to make and impact, I hope. i'm supposed to meet w/the guy tomorrow. Hope he shows this time!

In the meantime, a group of church members from Houston came to help clean up my remaining monster trees and pull the soggy carpeting out of my house so it won't be in worse shape. A major blessing! I couldn't have done it by myself.

And I caught up with some members I hadn't heard from. They are safe and doing ok, even though their homes have suffered some damage. What a relief! One member who's back in Beaumont told me to stay where I am and not return yet. "Stay where you have electricity and groceries, it's much safer than here right now." For the moment, I'll probably continue to do a bit of commuting, but those darned gas prices will probably put the kibosh in that real soon!

*sigh* I'm so ready for normal!

No comments: