Sunday, October 10, 2010

Human

Quite an interesting morning at worship today. While I'm in between churches, I've been doing occasional pulpit supply and have a regular service with a nearby church on the second Sunday. They don't have a pastor and I lead worship and celebrate Communion with them. It's a cool, neat little group and I really like being able to celebrate Communion.

This morning I added an unusual twist to the service ... I almost fainted.

It was a bit hot up in the pulpit and I almost lost it once before the sermon. But my worship assistant turned the ceiling fan up and I managed to cool off and made it through the sermon.

Then came Communion.

I made it about 1/3 of the way through the Communion Prayer when I started getting really hot again and began to wonder if I could stand up through Communion. I found a place to sit and attempted to carry on. Didn't make it too much further before I decided that, Nope! This isn't going to work and worship came to a screeching halt.

What a wonderful group of people!

They brought me cool cloths and water. Wouldn't let me move. One of them had a glucose test meter, so we checked to see if that were the problem.

We finished Communion and worship with me sitting on the floor and everyone in a circle around the Communion table.

Then, one of them drove me home while her husband followed us.

I've always known I was human, but this is the first time it's physically (as in my health, not one of my fabulous bloopers) gotten the best of me during a worship service.

And now I'll go down in history as the pastor who fainted in worship. *chuckle* The Spirit at work, huh?

2 comments:

Jason Oller said...

I wanna make some jokes about that.. I shan't, though. Religious satire can be too fun...

I love the celebration of communion, though...

God is good..

SingingSkies said...

All the time!