Monday, May 31, 2010

In Memoriam

Somehow it seems fitting that today is the one year anniversary of the final worship service of Westminster Presbyterian Church, Beaumont, TX. Admittedly, Memorial Day is a day when we remember those who have given their lives in service to the United States that we might live in freedom. We've not figured it out perfectly yet, but I'm grateful that we have the opportunity to work toward that goal.

The life and ministry of Westminster was an expression of our faith in Jesus Christ, one of those freedoms we have, and the ministry of healing the sick, helping the poor, and working for justice for those in need. She was a grand old lady, who touched many lives in her 129 year ministry.

I drove by the building today. It seemed appropriate. It hasn't changed a whole lot in a year, but then, it wasn't the exterior of the building that was weak. What was truly surreal was that the signs on the building haven't changed a bit. Worship services are still prominently posted and my name is still listed as pastor.

In some sense, I guess I am. I will always be the last pastor of Westminster. There won't be anyone else to take my place, to minister with her members, to share their lives as Westminsterites.

It has been a truly strange day. One whole year. Hard to believe it's been that long. Hard to believe it hasn't been forever.

Rest in peace, Westminster. Your work is finished, and it has just begun. I'm so glad you were a part of my life!

No comments: