Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Ahhhhhhh, Spring!

This morning is quite a beautiful day!

The sun is shining. The temperature is just perfect. And, in spite of future repercussions sinusally and insectally, I opened my unscreened patio door, just to enjoy the Spring-ness of the day.

The birds are tweeting. The idiot nearby woodpecker has once again decided that my aluminum patio cover has juicy bugs hidden in it. Quite the peaceful moment.

Then, what to my wondering ear should resound? The wafting music of ... no! it can't be! ... a marching band!

Awwwwwwww, c'mon! A marching band? The nearest marching band is two miles away over a busy freeway. I can't be hearing a marching band! Yes, I know. The sound carries well. My son was in a marching band. But at that distance, at absolute best, about all I'd hear would be drums. I had to be imagining things!

But wait! It's getting closer! Have to go check this out!

When I opened the front door, a car went by, then a school bus, obscuring the wafting notes. Hmmmmmmmm ... must have been imagining things. Then there was quiet. Well, the relative quiet of before, and, sure enough, the brass ... the drums ... they were indeed coming closer.

Scratching my head, I crossed the street and looked down toward the elementary school at the end of the block. There were brightly colored bodies lining the school side of the street. And, yes! The music was coming closer!

Soon, to join the wonderful sounds of a marching band, came a line of flag corps flags, then a line of tubas, then several more perfectly straight lines of brass, then drums, then cheerleaders, and several groups of children, and a car, and a policeman on a motorcycle at the end of the parade.

Looks like the elementary school had some sort of springtime parade this morning. So glad I got to enjoy it too!

No comments: