Monday, March 22, 2010

Easter Is a She

And how, you wonder, do I know that?

A bright youngster at worship passed this info along to me.

The family had gone to one of the local fairs and, while there, had won (or purchased, I'm not quite sure which) a HUGE white and green balloon dog one and 1/2 times the size of its owner.

As the dog was being drug through the sanctuary, it's owner proudly proclaimed that the dog was named Easter. Grandma piped in with "Someone mentioned that it was getting near to Easter, so that's how it got it's name."

As to being a 'she'? Well, d'oh! Easter had on a pink shirt, so it must be a 'she'.

Then my brain flashed onto this, mostly unrelated, thought: I wonder how it would affect our understanding of Easter if we thought of it as a 'she event'.

Some people envision the Holy Spirit as the feminine aspect of God. Certainly the Spirit was involved in Christ's resurrection, so how might a feminine understanding of the resurrection affect our understanding of Easter and Christianity?

I haven't gotten any further in my own thinking than the question, so don't have anything further to add. But I think I'm going to do a but more pondering in this Lenten season.

And a little child, dragging a HUGE white and green dog balloon named Easter, shall lead them.

No comments: