Monday, January 07, 2008

The Magical Mystery of Appliances

What is it about appliances?

After the enforced idleness of two years of waiting to be used after Her Horribleness blew through and wreaked havoc, I had to replace my washer, dryer, and dishwasher. New equipment was purchased and duly installed by the appropriate installer persons. Upon installation, all worked to factory specifications. Well, that is, all except the gas dryer which required a somewhat unique fitting that the installer person didn't have, since I was switching back to the updated (by a licensed plumber) gas connection.

While getting the house back to liveable condition, I washed all of the dishes in the dishwasher. And washed. And washed. And washed. And washed. .... Okay, the stupid thing got stuck on the wash cycle and wouldn't go to dry. Let's get real! It doesn't take over two hours for a load of dishes that needs only light cleaning to go through the whole cycle. It's under warranty, so I call out the repairperson, who comes the day after Hurricane Humberto hit town and we're without power. Apparently, having the repairperson park in the driveway of the house was sufficient. It now works perfectly.

Next on the sick list was the dryer. It dried. And dried. And dried. And dried. ... Yeah, I know! This is becoming a habit. Three hours for a gas dryer to dry a relatively small load is highly unusual. It's under warranty. Call repairperson. This time the guy made it into the house. Turns out that several centuries of lint was stuck in the exterior vent. (I'd had the foresight to completely replace the flexible part.) Gas dryers have a safety that won't let it heat up too much if the lint thingy isn't working exactly right. Remove lint. Machine works perfectly. (I'll admit - this repair call was actually legitimate and a cry for help by the dryer.)

THEN, the washer decides to go on the fritz. Clonk. Clonk. Clonk. Shoot! The person on the repair line even heard the beastie making its annoying metallic sound. The repairperson arrives at the house this morning, turns on the machine, and ... You've guessed it! NOTHING!! Not a single abnormal sound to be heard. It's working perfectly at the moment.

What is it about appliances? (and copiers and computers ...) Sometimes it seems as though they simply want someone who understands them to come by and hold their hands. The microwave and stove came with the house, and the stove has been having conversations with my handyperson friend. I suspect we'll finally get that thermostat problem fixed one of these days.

My refrigerator is old enough to have settled into the routine and hasn't required the tender ministrations of a repairperson since the first couple of years I owned it. I'm afraid it may get jealous and decide to act up! Shhhhhhhh! Don't let it know that I'm seeing the repairperson!

2 comments:

Love, Rita said...

And do you ever wonder what they get up to at night, when you've gone to bed and no one's watching them???

I actually have to sweet-talk both my computer and my car!

You might want to try it with some of your more contrary appliances! Lol

SingingSkies said...

Yeah, I've done the sweet-talk thing, especially with the office copier. There still seems to be a point where they require the love and understanding of someone who truly speaks their language. I don't.

And, as with anything/one who's just a veritable infant, my newer appliances seem to need additional guidance from someone who understands their wily ways. I've got the kid thing down fine. Yet that doesn't translate into "appliance" very easily.

*chuckle*