Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Really Oughta...

...turn off The Weather Channel.

Part of my semi-obsessive weather watching is legitimate. I'd like to be able to figure out when it will be safe to finish painting the exterior of my house. Doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon. Especially since there's thunder rumbling in the background and some of those thunderstorms might actually make it here from the coast. Even if it does manage to get dry enough to paint, it'll probably be way too hot for most of the day. This task may have to wait until October.

It's also legitimate to keep up with the latest tropical updates (nothing happening at this second, but you've gotta keep your eye on ... )and see if the skies are about to break loose with a gullywasher at any moment, usually just before I walk out of the house. Weather radar is your friend. (Anyone else remember when the Weather Channel was just the local radar circling round and round with someone intermittently announcing temperatures and weather alerts?)

However, today is the 2nd anniversary of Katrina's landfall. Each time one of the segments on how bad things were and what recovery is happening and what the area has to look forward to in the future, I find myself feeling really ambivalent.

There's the angry part of me that says "All right, already! We've Katrina ... Katrina ... Katrina'd until you'd think that was the only catastrophe that happened in 2005." And I wonder if they'll do the 2-year anniversary of Rita and Wilma with the same overkill they're devoting to Katrina. Probably not.

Then I find myself hoping that they don't. The look back reminds me too much of the whole surreal experience of watching the devastation and then seeing a similar destruction head straight for our coast 3 weeks later. It's peak hurricane season, so my hypervigilance becomes even more hyper (if that's possible).

Then I end up feeling guilty because the eastern Gulf Coast took a super-major hit and you see the pictures of the devastation that is still waiting to be dealt with. Finally other parts of Louisiana and Mississippi are getting a bit of their due, yet New Orleans is still the "star".

It is encouraging to see how far things have come, as well as discouraging to see just how far they've yet to go. The mind recognizes that 10 years out may see the area looking almost as though nothing had ever happened. The heart goes out to those who are caught in limbo in the meantime. To some degree, I understand their limbo; although, certainly my limbo is nowhere as deep or long as theirs may be. And the same recovery parameters may be just as true for us as it was for those clobbered by Katrina.

Yeah. I think I oughta just turn off the tv for a while. ACK! More thunder. Maybe not.

2 comments:

Love, Rita said...

Somewhat unrelated comment: I acknowledge that the devastation from Katrina was catastrophic, but why don't we hear about how the recovery in other hurricane-smashed areas (South Florida? Mexico? Jamaica?) has been stalled for two years and how many people are still displaced and waiting for government intervention?

I agree that you should turn off the Weather Channel...but you might want to wait until after Felix decides what to destroy.

SingingSkies said...

Agreed! It's amazing to even hear little bits about other areas affected by Katrina from time to time, much less about any of the other places affected by storms in 2005 (or earlier for that matter).

Oh! I'm not planning to give up the Weather Channel entirely! I just have to come up for air from time to time. *chuckle*