Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I Oughta Know Better By Now

You'd think I'd learn. I do it to myself every time. At least I'm consistent.

Here I was getting all excited about work being scheduled for Her Horribleness repairs. This week, the cultured marble people were to tear out the yucky tile. They did. One task down. Then today the plumber was supposed to come over and replace the shower pan and redo the plumbing fixtures in the shower and in my bathtub. He did. However, he wasn't able to finish everything.

For one thing, apparently the drain has to be moved and, of course, it's set in concrete. Literally! That means a jackhammer person has to come by and smash out the old stuff. Since we didn't know about that until today, there wasn't anyone with a jackhammer available today to come and do the work. *sigh* Perhaps tomorrow.

Unfortunately, there's another problem that's even worse. When the marble people did their thing, they discovered that the wood framing in the shower was seriously rotted. ACK! Now I have to replace the wood before the plumber and the marble people can finish their jobs. This additional task is going to take a contractor. Guess who doesn't have a contractor readily available. ... You've got it!

So I tapped my congregational handyperson, and his contacts say "about two weeks" before someone's available. Two Weeks!! ARGH!! And that's just before the shower stuff can be completed.

Then I have to get the linoleum and carpet put in. I'd had it scheduled for next week. Now it's been postponed.

Here I was hoping that the flooring could be installed next week, the touchup painting and trim/baseboards/etc. finished Memorial Day weekend, and light fixtures, curtains, ceiling fan, and the like put back together and cleaned up shortly thereafter, with a move-back-in date by no later than my birthday in June. *double sigh*

Now it's maybe by July 4th? Labor Day? Thanksgiving? Christmas? OK - I'll do my best to not get totally pessimistic. *whine* I just want to sleep in my own bed. */whine*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At least you have someone to do the work. I've been trying for more than three months to get a contractor under contract. The last one was supposed to have a contract ready for my signature two weeks ago, so it looks like I'm back to shopping for a new one. If they can't bother to provide a bid or a contract, how can I expect them to show up to do the work?

SingingSkies said...

*sigh* That's absolutely so frustrating! The same thing happened with my drywall. People would come out, look at it, say they'd give me a bid, then I'd never hear from them again. Absolutely infuriating! I'd say to myself, "What? My money's no good?" and then realize that what they wanted was the really big jobs, and mine wasn't. Bleah!

And you are correct, I am fortunate. I've been blessed with people who have helped me when I thought I'd never get things done.

Wonder what we can do get help for those who are still hanging with the "little jobs"? There's gotta be some way to get an advocacy group or something to focus attention on them.