Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Eve

Well, another year is reaching completion. Another New Year's Eve spent quietly at home, "protecting" the dog from the local unauthorized fireworks display. Another December 31st figuring out which 'midnight' show to watch. And, you know what? I like spending New Year's Eve this way!

I've never really enjoyed the madhouse nature of New Year's Eve celebrations. Just to be clear, I enjoy parties, enjoy dancing. However, there's something about the parties at New Year's that seems to hinge on seeing how far over the edge one can go. At least, that has been my experience in the past. I'm not ruling out entirely the possibility that things have changed since the last New Year's Eve celebration I attended.

This particular shift from one year to the next has had it's unusual components to it. I had hoped to be back in my own house by this point, but I'm not there yet. It's possible I'll at least be able to live there while finishing up the non-essentials by the end of next month. No guarantees, though.

On Friday, my mom had a heart-weirdness attack and ended up spending Friday night and Saturday in the hospital. She's feeling fine now, and they've let her come home. Of course, her timing is impeccable. She already had an appointment with the cardiologist who implanted her defibrillator on Wednesday. So she's going to that appointment, then the doctors are going to put their heads together and figure out where to go from here. I'm glad she's home, doing well, and was permitted an escape from hospital food.

Because I wasn't sure what was happening with Mom, I was considering a trip to visit her today. Part of the reason I didn't go was that the Penster would have had to go with me and my sister-in-law and niece, who were staying with Mom, are allergic to dogs. It's a good thing I ended up staying home. A couple of hours ago, my son arrived! HOORAY!! The timing of his arrival was uncertain, but I'm glad he's here.

He's all a dynamo, planning to do what he can to get my house put back together. *smile* It's going to be a good new year. There's something bright and uplifting about his energy and enthusiasm. It's been a bit of a difficult year, so something good happening at this, the transition between one year and the next, is encouraging.

It's a bit early, not quite at midnight yet. However, here's wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year, and that it be filled with abundant and rich blessings!

No comments: