Sunday, January 08, 2006

Outrage

They've done it! A few voices spoke and the tv management caved! Yes, there are things on tv which I wouldn't in a million years watch, but they're available. The assumption is that I'm a grown-up and can choose whether to watch or not. But not for this show. We didn't even get the chance to see if it would be worthy of spending the time one it. All because a few voices didn't like what the commercials were saying about the show. THEY hadn't seen it either, but just knew that it would warp everyone's little brains if the show even aired. ARGH!

As if Christ couldn't handle whatever inanity humanity came up with. The Book of Daniel didn't even get a chance in Southeast Texas. Truth to tell, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to watch it or not. The commercials didn't paint a picture that was compelling enough to ensure that I'd at least put a tape in the machine to watch it later. I probably would have given it at least one shot at telling the story, but I didn't get that chance to make the decision.

What is it that makes some people so scared about what entertainment is on tv? I'm actually more worried about how real people actually act and the things they actually do which harm others. And we get to see large percentages of that on tv! 24 hour news channels with their talking heads - and all of the fluff and bother that they put on - without spending time on the things which really matter to the lives of millions. Sure, some worthy events capture our attention for a span of time, but all too often, we are given the minutia while truly important events escape without notice. *sigh*

If we become a nation of sheep (and I'm afraid we're already pretty close to that), we will have lost what made us a country worthy of emulating. People have to be allowed to examine issues (even inane entertainment issues) and decide whether for themselves whether they are harmful or not. That's what freedom of speech is about. I guess in some convoluted way you could say that the tv station exercised their freedom of speech by pulling the show. It is a private enterprise and not a public station; however, they are using public airwaves and entered into an agreement with the national broadcasting system to air the programming provided.

Perhaps if enough people grouse about it, they will air the show at a time which isn't "prime time". Probably won't be enough people who'll take the time to grouse, though. As I said earlier, the commercials weren't about a particularly compelling storyline. But what goes next if we don't grouse? Are we headed for the era of approved "government speak", where if you don't say the correct words, you are subjected to reorientation? Probably not within the next few years, but it's still a possibility on the edge of the horizon. The 'if you aren't with us, you must be against us (and therefore in favor of the enemy)' mindset is dangerous to our current freedom and the workings of democracy.

I cringe when I think of what has happened in only a few years. For most of my life, I lived in Texas. When I moved to Oklahoma, it felt as though I'd left a place where independence was valued almost above all else. Now, there's not much left of that sense of independence. Partisan politics have shifted so far that the few voices seeking a middle ground are almost silenced, and gridlock is SOP.

There is much still to love about Texas. I was quite proud of the way Texans jumped in to help those fleeing Katrina, and how that work is still continuing today, even in the aftermath of Rita here at home. That kind of love and concern for others is truly what it means to be Christian (and a lot of non-Christians are just as good at it as well). If our actions as a nation were such exemplars of our supposedly Judeo-Christian roots, sure there might be some to take advantage of us, but at the same time, we would be living out in fullness the Kingdom of God which we profess to believe is 'already but not yet' in our world. Exhibiting that love for enemies, neighbors, and self is part of that very real 'already'. I hope we get there someday!

3 comments:

Ron Franscell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ron Franscell said...

Some Christians bear too many crosses. I, too, was annoyed that a handful -- maybe fewer -- of loudmouthed, self-appointed arbiters of MY values could decide whether I could see "Book of Daniel" to decide for myself if it was worth my time and attention.

In some ways, even the admittedly chaotic storyline of "Daniel" can't compare with the immoral and dishonest ranting of Rev. Pat Robertson, who gets the seal of joyous approval from these same types.

In our town, the first New Year's baby of 2006 was born (and dutifully reported as in most local papers) to a mother and father with different surnames. Predictably, one of our shirtsleeve Christian neighbors wrote an extremely nasty letter to the editor about OUR lack of morals in reporting a presumably out-of-wedlock birth was contributing to the obviously poor morals of everybody else (except himm I suppose.) Now, I don't know if Mom and Dad were married, and I don't really care; the first baby is the first baby .... and I'm not truly certain whether Jesus was an out-of-wedlock birth either, or merely conceived out-of-wedlock. I don't care. It's the event that matters.

I absolutely defend the rights of Christians to speak their minds and to spend their money where they choose. The First Amendment is more sacred to me than they are. But I foresee a time in our country when OTHER people will use their First Amendment rights to be as hateful against churches in a backlash that could be equally out of proportion.

All because of a handful -- maybe fewer -- of loudmouthed, self-appointed arbiters of MY values.

SingingSkies said...

I definitely agree with you! And really loved the editorial written by the Lamar student on the issue. Some good thinking going on there!!

It's frustrating when people put blinders on and are so focused on making judgments against people who don't act and believe exactly like them. I recently heard the term Christian Pharisees in one of the forums I belong to. Pretty good description of what's happening - focused on the letter of the law (even to the point of building an ethical fence so no one can accidentally even nick a point or two) and not on grace.

I, too, am concerned about the backlash which is probably on the horizon. At some level, it's even building up within the more liberal denominations, and may (well - has to some degree) lead to schism. Part of what I'm seeing seems to be the historic pendulum swing between 'ultra-orthodoxy' and 'ultra-heterodoxy' (for lack of a better term at the moment).

Culturally, there has been so much change within the last 50-60 years that many people are yearning for something, ANYTHING, to remain the way they remember it from the time of their youth. It's not going to happen, cognitive dissonance arises, so the church - a safe haven in times of chaos - becomes the focus of a return to the way it was. Even when a church tries to go back, it doesn't happen completely. It can't. In time (a veeeeeeeery long time for some issues), progress is made and the pendulum begins its return trip.

*sigh* And even when I get furious over the opposing view, I do have to step back and remember they do bring something of value, even if it's only that the particular topic is now visible and needs discussing.