Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm Responsible

I really didn't plan it that way. I thought I was just doing things 'decently and in order' when I sent my application for COBRA insurance to the board that handles such things. I found out how much to send. I filled out the application. Enclosed a check for said amount. Sent the darned thing "return receipt requested" so I'd know it got there.

And it did.

My return receipt said it did. The board says it did. They even have proof! Praise God!!

The problem is that between the photocopy room where they made a permanent record of my check and the accounting room where the check would make a permanent dent in the amount owed ... well, it disappeared! Into thin air (or thick walls - I've always had this skewed belief that poltergeists squirrel away missing papers, hoarding them until some grand moment when they all burst from the walls. *chuckle*)

So, it's off to the bank to get them to stop payment on the missing check and writing a replacement check. The board's being really good about it and covering any fees the bank charges. (Yay, board!!) They also said I could include the amount in my next premium payment. Another good thing.

And the best thing? Because of me, they're changing the system so checks don't wander off into oblivion in the future.

Sometimes it feels good to be an instigator of change ...




... even if it was unintentional.

No comments: