Saturday, October 18, 2008

Too Much Sky

The other day my son and I were in the car headed to one of the local restaurants. As we came to one "familiar" intersection, I looked up and out and thought back to when I first moved to town. At that particular intersection, when you looked toward the sky, all you could see were the tops of the trees.

After Rita, there was a bit more sky to be seen at that intersection, but still there were a fair number of trees in that view.

Now, the intersection looks as though some maniacal lumberjack of Paul Bunyan proportions stomped through town, slicing out the tops of trees with his well-honed axe. The end result is ...

WAY TOO MUCH SKY!!

And little pitiful stubby treetops in view.

Don't get me wrong. Generally, I like sky. But it was Oh! so pleasant to have those beautiful green, leafy limbs, the trees' crowing glory, to help block the sun's rays early in the morning and at dusk.

Now, when I look at where the treetops used to be, I feel sad and shriveled inside. It will be another generation before the skyline begins to look "normal" again, assuming another beastie doesn't come plowing through the streets and yards of town again in the meantime.

*sigh* I think I've been feeling the combined effects of Her Horribleness and His Horribleness this week. Sad, then angry, then fuzzy, then rinse and repeat. Sometimes it's just overwhelming. Sometimes it seems like the best thing to do is just crawl back into bed and pull the pillows over my head. But sometimes, you just have to plod along, and remember to take care of yourself.

I'm beginning to think I need to take a couple of days off and just get away from town.

Hmmmmmmmmm...you know, I'm beginning to think it's about time for a trip to Austin. I've some friends there I haven't seen in quite a while. Yes, hills would be nice about now.

Now all I've got to do is figure out when!

No comments: