Monday, December 24, 2007

I'll Be Home for Christmas ...

...not only in my dreams!

Somehow, being back in my own home this year is truly making this year a special Christmas. Not perfect, mind you, but special in a comforting sort of way.

I've always enjoyed the Christmas Eve service, and the same held true tonight. Part of what I enjoy is that, as pastor, it's a "low maintenance" worship service. There's no sermon or meditation to prepare, just Scriptures and hymns to choose and the standard Communion liturgy to prepare.

There's something incredibly appropriate about this service being so simple. There is simplicity amidst glory in the birth narratives. So, I like to let the whole service bask in the simplicity of members doing the readings and the congregation singing the Christmas hymns. This year, we even ended up doing the service a capella, since our accompanist had to work this evening. There are plenty of strong voices in the congregation, so it went well.

There are always the unexpected glitches that make things special, too. When it came time to serve Communion, we had four elders come to the front and we only needed two. How beautiful that all of them wanted to participate! One of our youth dropped his piece of bread before it was dipped in the juice. So, he reached down, picked it up, blew on it, and dipped ... to chuckles throughout the sanctuary.

One of our members got a brand new puppy for Christmas. She snuck her into the service in a large handbag, and she behaved so well. I think I only heard something out of the pup once. One of our church matriarchs made it to the worship service tonight. She doesn't get around very well, or hear very well, but there was no way she was going to sit in her seat and have Communion brought to her! So, with help, she made it up to the front (after grousing quite loudly that she wasn't going to wait). *smile*

And, then we sang Silent Night as the candles were lit, to the accompaniment of a guitar. Beautiful! Simple! Uplifting!

So, now I'm home. Enjoying the moment and looking forward to tomorrow, 'cuz I'll be home for Christmas this year ... and it's certainly not a dream!

Merry Christmas, Everyone!!

1 comment:

Love, Rita said...

Merry Christmas! Hope this Christmas and the New Year are filled with peace, comfort, and joy!

I read your post on "community", and how connectedwe all come to feel to our online acquaintances. You were right on the money, and I want you to know that I value your encouragement and friendship just as if we had met face to face.

Best wishes to you and yours!