Wednesday, November 21, 2007

GiveThanksing

In the cartoon PreTeena, oddly quirky friend Stick has started a campaign to change the name of our November holiday from Thanksgiving to Givethanksing. Since "thanks" doesn't do the giving and since we're supposed to "give thanks" to God and to others, the reversed name is a much more accurate description, according to Stick's theory.

She's got a point.

So ... some "Givethanksging":

-- Family around to share it with. My son is home and Mom came over for the night. And, if it hadn't been that there was family around, I have "family" in the broader sense: people who would have welcomed me into their homes for Thanksgiving dinner.

-- Finally being home! Even with the work that needs to be finished, it is wonderful to be back in my own home. Yet it reminds me of those whose homes are still unfinished and who may not have homes to return to. To have a roof over one's head is something to be thankful for. And, during these past two years, I had generous and wonderful people who provided that roof while mine was being repaired. Something else to be extremely thankful for.

-- My elderly, yet often puppy-ish, canine pal. She's such a scaredy-cat when thunderstorms come through; however, she's quite ferocious when someone's on the other side of the front door. The past couple of days she's been pretty "windy", but that hasn't affected her playing with my son or chasing squirrels. I hope it's just a transient affliction and not a sign of something more. I've had her for 12 years! Never would have believed I'd have such a loving critter-friend in my life for so long.

-- A great congregation! Yes, there are challenges, but without challenges, our faith would not be stretched and strengthened and given a chance to grow. These are truly wonderful people who have not turned their thoughts inward. Helping others is what they are about.

-- Friends, in real life and online. They are a lifeline when things feel bleak and someone to share rejoicing with when things are uplifting.

I'm going to stop there, but the blessings in my life could go on and on. And for each of these blessings, I give thanks to God, the Creator; Christ, the Redeemer; and Spirit, the Sustainer. Their presence has helped me to become the person I am today, and continues to encourage me to grow even beyond that.

The Me I am right now would have been an impossible goal for the Me I was 20 years ago. The journey became possible through God's unconditional love shown in ways I never expected. I hope that I live my life in such a way that expresses my thanks daily.

I hope that your lives are touched with many blessings and hope for the future.

HAPPY GIVETHANKSING ONE AND ALL!!

No comments: