Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Little by Little

Don't think I'm gonna make it. ... Back home by the 2nd anniversary of Her Horribleness' arrival in the Golden Triangle, that is.

Some progress has been made, though. My handyfriend came to town and I think we've pretty much bought everything else we need to finish the repairs inside. Well, almost. One nice piece of 1/4 round is needed to finish off the baseboard in the kitchen, and I'm sure there will be one or two more things before we're through.

All of the baseboard, chair rail, and crown molding has been painted, as well as the framing for the doorway that had to be replaced, and progress has been made in installing the baseboard in the den. I won't tell you about the piece that I managed to break as we took it back outside to trim down a bit. Turns out that some of the door framing left a nasty swath which needs to be repainted with the paint from hell. Bleah! (Especially, since there's now CARPET on the floors and I have to be really careful to not drip paint, paint tarp notwithstanding.)

Dorky moment of the day - I started tackling cleaning around the kitchen. The ventahood looked rather bedraggled, so I started in on it. Managed to pull out the light cover without much trouble. Then came the grease screen. Started to get it loosened and something tumbled onto the stove. EEK! *sheepish grin* It was just a leaf. EEK! *sheepish grin* Next came a bit of wood. EEP! *sheepish grin* Another leaf. Notice a trend here? You'd think after the first one I'd quit thinking some kind of dead/live critter wasn't falling through the hole. I finally realized it was the detrius from my previously hurricane-mangled roof, which made the balance of the cleanup a bit less exciting. *chuckle*

My handyfriend won't be able to come back until next week. *sigh* Perhaps we'll get the rest of the inside finished next time. In the meantime, I'm exhausted and headed to bed.

OOPS! Forgot to mention one moment of hilarity during our work. My working refrigerator is in the storage room in the garage, while my regular fridge is in 3 pieces waiting to be reinserted into its appropriate location. We'd stored water in the working fridge so we'd have something cool to drink. My handyfriend hollers "Water!" I'm thinking, "Well, he's closer to the fridge. Why doesn't he just walk in and get one?" Again, he hollers "Water!" So I yell back, "It's in the fridge!" He says, "No! Water! All over the floor! WATER!" Sure enough, there's this mysterious water in the storage room. Turns out the drainage pipe from my washing machine was dislodged from its comstituent parts by the installation guy and now the water drains all over my garage floor instead of into the sewage system. Not an ideal situation by any stretch of the imagination. But the miscommunication sure was funny!

No comments: